Sew Your Own Handwoven Fabric!
May 05 - 06, 2023
SAORI Sewing Workshop: A 2-day Intensive!
You’ve put your heart into weaving a beautiful piece of fabric. It’s off your loom, it’s crying out “Wear me!” and you’re just waiting for it to tell you what it wants to be. Now what?
Cutting and sewing handwoven fabric can be very intimidating, especially for those of us who are not frequent sewists.
We’ve come to the rescue and have put together a much-requested workshop that offers step-by-step guidance from just-off-the-loom cloth to something wearable, and you’ll go home with a completed garment, new skills, and a big feeling of accomplishment!
Topics & Skills Covered:
We’ll begin with learning some common seams in SAORI clothing construction and their application, and then we’ll practice sewing those seams using commercial lightweight fabric you’ll bring from home.
As confidence builds, we’ll turn the focus to basic garment design, and you’ll choose your project from three separate garment plans that are simple in construction, yet flattering and stylish.
Since SAORI garment design generally uses simple lines without darts or tailoring, creating your chosen project with muslin or other commercial cotton fabric from home is the next quick step. This is the time to work out any bugs!
Up next is laying out your precious handwoven cloth… and then the magic can begin! Everyone’s biggest fear is cutting their handwoven cloth, but we’ll show you how to do that safely and with complete confidence!
The remainder of the workshop will be spent focusing on the construction and embellishment of your project.
Where and When:
It’s no mistake that we’ve scheduled this SAORI intensive for the weekend before Mother’s Day! Make lodging arrangements NOW and plan to enjoy this time you’ve set aside just for you and the craft you love.
- Dates: Friday May 5 – Saturday, May 6, 2023
- Time: 10am – 4pm each day
- Location: Wimberley Valley SAORI, 765 Gardenia Dr., Wimberley, TX 78676
- Cost: $395
- Other Details: Box lunch provided. Limited seating available.
What to Bring:
- A sewing machine that you are familiar with, including all associated machine cables and plugs. Please contact us if you do not have a machine to bring.
- Extension cord
- Handwoven fabric, washed and pressed
- Minimum length needed: 60”
- Minimum width: 15″
- It does not have to be woven in the SAORI style – it can be traditionally woven. We’ll send you specific instructions for how to wash your fabric.
- Important: Dimensions of your handwoven material will dictate which style you choose. Optimally, will allow you greatest flexibility in your choices.
- 3.5” muslin, or inexpensive plain lightweight commercial fabric
- Thread: a contrasting color and matching color
- Fabric Scissors, small snipping scissors, seam ripper, and pins
- Black Sharpie (fine tip)
Be sure to connect with us on Instagram @wimberleyvalleysaori to see the latest studio news and updates, as we’ll be posting frequently!
Cancellations received before May 2, 2023 will be eligible for a full reimbursement of payment. After this date, no refunds will be issued, but payment amount may be applied to payment for future sessions.
The retreat will comply with any state mandates and CDC recommendations with regards to COVID safety. For more information, please review our full COVID policy.